Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dinner is something that you make

Sometimes evening activities prevent "sit down together" dinners. On Friday in the late afternoon, I made myself brown sugar toast as a snack/early dinner before leaving the house. Husband ate Coco Puffs, The Boy snagged some Corn Puffs, and The Girl decided to try Froot Loops for the first time. As I went to put my plate away, I made up some little song about how everyone was having breakfast for dinner.*

Girl (laughingly, from her spot on the sofa, bowl in hand, watching a DVD on a laptop): This isn't dinner.

Me: Yes, it is.

Girl: No, it's not. Dinner is something that you make. This is not my dinner.

Me: Well, I got news for ya....

Girl (beginning to cry): I don't want this to be my dinner!

Me: Well, we don't have much time. I'm sure you can eat something later after soccer practice. What else do you want that you can eat right now?

Girl: ...

Girl: Frosted Flakes.

Me: ?

Me: OK, we can do that.

The moral of this story is that you should always buy those tiny boxes of cereal in lots of different flavors, dyes, and sugar levels. You never know when you might need to "make" a last-minute dinner.


*I sing about pretty much every mundane thing that's going on in my house. I'm really charming that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment